18 November 2008

Quick Trip.

I got back from Singapore this past weekend. It was a whirlwind of a trip. Singapore is very humid and is one of the cleanest cities I have ever been to. Although we had no time to explore the city, I was able to check it out from our many cab rides. We (my boss Jill and I) did not buy one thing... boring I know, but we were all business on this trip. We underestimated the amount of work we needed to accomplish. We were sure that our last day would be spent shopping, not a chance! Jill and I worked our butts off. We put in over 40 hours in 3 days.

On our first day, we walked to get breakfast at a local coffee shop (see pic below). Little did we know that rainy season had just begun. As we were eating it started raining, when it rains, it literally pours! Of course we did not bring umbrellas. So, we ran from one place to another asking where we could buy umbrellas. Finally, someone told us the local 7-11 sold them. We decided it would be best to take off our shoes (we didn't want to ruin them) and roll up our jeans. By the time we made it to 7-11 we looked like we took a full on shower in our clothes. We walked back to our place barefoot in the pouring rain, people probably thought we were crazy. At least we got some good laughs out of the experience.

We were excited to get to the "flat" we are designing. I have never seen a penthouse like this, it is on the 63rd floor. It is one of the tallest residential buildings in the world. The flat has many angles and curves. It was challenging and took our best problem solving skills. I think we came up with some great solutions and I cannot wait to see how it turns out. We are pressed for time as the entire place needs to be done in March. I would say to do a remodel, design, select furniture, fabrics, lighting etc. could NEVER be done in 3 months, especially in another country. However, we are making it happen. The crazy part is everything actually has to be ready a month prior because we have to ship it on a container to Singapore. Wish me luck as I become very busy these next few months. Good thing I love my job!!! **Sorry I did not take many pics...

This is the only pic I took of myself, behind me is the Raffles Hotel. It is a beautiful British Colonial style hotel and is one of the oldest hotels in Singapore. I loved all the architectural details, simply gorgeous. Please excuse my hair... major humidity!


This is the TCC aka known as the T_______Coffee Connoisseur. We never paid attention to what the "T" stands for. We ate here for every meal on the first day because we did not know where else to go, plus it was close to where we were staying. The decor inside is so charming and of course I did not take any pics of it. The food was tasty.


A quick pic of the city as we were trying to get a cab.


The view from the 63rd floor.


Another shot of the view off one of the decks, it is amazing. This is the area where all the containers of imported goods are unloaded.

No comments: