11 August 2009

Every day...


I miss my dad. 

Yesterday, August 10th, was my dad's birthday. He would be 57.

My dad was diagnosed 13 years ago with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) aka the Lou Gehrig's Disease. See here for more details. He lived with this disease for 5-1/2 years. He passed away shortly after I graduated high school in 2001.

As I look back on those years, I sometimes feel regret. Regret that I didn't try harder to be more helpful, more understanding and selfless. As a teenager, I obviously didn't know the things I know now. So, I try not to let my thoughts fill with regret. This past week I reminisced about good times, times I remember as a child. I love to be around my dad's sisters, as they remind me of him or tell me stories about him in his youth. 

I know most girls think highly of their fathers. I cannot express how much I respect the man my dad was. He was such an example to me. I try very hard to possess the great qualities that he carried. He was a generous, loving, hard working, and funny man. My dad could always make us smile. I have 3 sisters - my dad never got a boy. He let us play with his hair, scrunchies, clips and all. He taught us how to do so many responsible things - chores we considered "boy chores." Such as, mow and edge the lawn, wash the cars (inside and out), take out the trash, paint the garage and so on. He also taught us how to throw a ball (not like a girl) and swing a golf club properly. My dad loved us more than anything, I know that for sure.

I miss him all the time. In good times (my wedding) and bad times. During the bad times, I wish he were here to comfort me and offer fatherly advice. The thing that eases my heartache is that I know without a doubt I will see him again. I strongly believe in the power of eternal families. I know that he is waiting for us to return to heaven to be with him. This brings me comfort. 

Happy Birthday Dad.
I love you.





3 comments:

Matt & Danielle said...

Your sweet tribute to your father brought tears to my eyes...I hope that you guys are doing well and are happy.

Danielle

trisha kaikilani said...

love you jillie...i know he is so proud of you and the choices you have made in your life...you are an amazing person...

Lula. said...

Oh Jille. You brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet tribute. I remember (in the very short time I interacted with him) that he was such a nice man. Happy Birthday Tom!

Seriously, you are so amazing. And watching you go through that all those years ago has never left me. You were (and ARE) so strong. I don't know many teenagers who would be so selfless like you were before he died. You were always so concerned for your dad, and always helping him do the things he could not do for himself. I remember many occasions going home with you so you could walk him upstairs to bed or feed him dinner before going out with your friends, and being happy to do it. That's selflessness right there.

He is probably so thankful for a daughter like you and so proud of the wonderful choices you have made.

Lots of love to you.